
I got home determined I would listen to something new and fabulous, given my life of dancing and mad clubbing nights is temporarily suspended for reasons beyond my control. So I thought: what would John Peel do? Well, John Peel had a sense of humour, so he'd probably go onto Myspace and check out a few profiles. Complete waste of time, except for a brief correspondance with Lady Megan.
But a deeper internet search on John himself revealed that one of his last discoveries was the Mae Shi, this wacko experimental punk band from Los Angeles. I loved Run to your grave, their one (and only) pop achievement. And I loved them for the drum virtuoso at the end of the piece and for being so brilliantly old-fashioned in their experimentality.
Still, my search for new exciting things was beginning to prove dull, and I was becoming depressed with the state of today's music.
Then I decided I was thinking like an old man, so I decided to discover something REALLY good, and came across Who Taught You To Live Like That, by the Nova Scotia pop revivalists Sloan (without the final e, thankfully - they are the guys in the picture). The kind of piece which makes you swing on your chair. Which would make you stand up and dance if you weren't a little drunk after 2 bottles of wine consumed in the heights of Tufnell Park...
That's good. Now I am a happy man... Now I can go to bed...
6 comments:
tot we ARE getting old
a month from now, we'll debut with the following...
"kids today, i mean, really..."
and
"back in the DAY..."
I think you need to turn your focus towards television. You are after all living in a country that originated such gems as:
So You Think You Can Dance,
Wife Swap
How Clean Is Your House?
and not to forget
Big Has-been Brother and Fuckwit Island
and vintage classics, like don't forget your toothbrush (which i was ordered by oats to do during the fast)
Was it my music selection over dinner that inspired you sweetie? Too many female singer-songwriters? I noticed that you left pretty quickly when Nancy Sinatra came on....!
Natch, darling. You know Sinatra and Sicilian meatballs have a strange effect on my brain!!!
boots?????? start WALKING...
pah pah parara pah pa parara pa pah.
Post a Comment