
Conversation over dinner reminded me of this old classic I loved madly when I was a kid. If I was cooler, I'd probably come up with some sophisticated critique à la Le Duc/Tot about why this film is fundamentally flawed, not encompassing the multiple layers of contraddictions of post-modern/constructivist intergenerational conflict, blah blah blah, and we'd all rather spend our precious time watching again a) The Rains of Ranchipur, b) Olsenbanden og Dynamitt-Harry mot nye høyder, or c) A bout de Souffle.
But back then, life was simpler and films made me cry when they had plots that spoke to the heart of an angsty teenage boy and when they had Ethan looking like this in them:
3 comments:
did you ever see THIS:
REUNION (italian title: l'amico ritrovato)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098197/
i was living in italy when dead poet's society and this movie came out at the same time. they had similarities. and while when it comes to a good blubber, i'm not fussy, i remember LOSING IT for this one, which got sadly overlooked/overshadowed by the ethan/robert sean pimply poets.
i can't believe it's been 18 years when i trotted to the metropolitan in via oberdan, bologna, granny in tow for the matinee of this. i feel OLD.
we all made the same comment. funny, how great minds think alike...
No, I fell for Ethan, too...
Post a Comment