26 May, 2009

Discoveries

Today I made two discoveries.

The first one was that carpenters can be extremely, extremely hot. I had this idea of furniture makers as old men with waistcoats and a moustache. Or as oddly-shaped giants covered in sawdust, like our carpenter in Tuscany.

Then I met these guys:


The picture does no justice to the men, both of whom had tense muscles bulging from beneath the few clothes they wore (indeed, one stripped all the way down to his low-cut shorts, revealing - you guessed - a perfectly-shaped Iliac crest). Both also had very interesting features, perhaps not beautiful in a classical sense, but certainly striking. One had piercing blue eyes with a strong slant, as if they belonged to a cat.

But it was the ladies who took central stage. Chain smoking dope and sporting a moody and misterious smile, they moved around the large planks of wood and circular saws with the confidence of a man.

My desire to drop everything and become a carpenter has never been as strong as today.

So I went to the gym for an unusually long time, trying to get ready for the day when I am going to have to lift those large pieces of wood, and then came home to listen to my new favourite folky singer (yah, Glasto's around the corner, so I am brushing up my musical taste, natch).


Emiliana Torrini. Absolutely fabulous. Someone pointed her out to me some time ago, but I only got round to listening to her properly. I expect she might not be SOMEONE's cup of tea, but I also think SOMEONE ELSE might really like her...

Here you go. Easy listening.


I like making these nice discoveries.

9 comments:

Tom said...

How can you just be discovering carpenters now? Hellooooo, like, um, JESUS!

Tom said...

Emiliana is nice too.

Lady V said...

On my famous Wood-working for lesbians course circa 1995 that was what I was looking for.

I never found it. My bookshelves rot today somewhere in a cupboard in Hackney.

Jesus, if that course had been in Milan. Wow.

Swigga Jax loves Emiliana, I think. Sure she will tell you. She's lovely (Emiliana and Swigz)

pod said...

am embarassed to admit it. but swigga jax carried out an exhaustive google search for "valeria Cifarelli"
for my tot v, natch.

albeo said...

It's Alessia you're after tots...

pod said...

i found another picture!
http://www.exibart.com/foto/61552.jpg

i almost wet my pants.
yup. it's in fact alessia.

Lady V said...

She's like a beautiful little cat. With fabulous cheekbones.
Glad to know we share the same excellent taste.

Tots, you are back in charge of finding me the woman of my dreams...

MicNic said...

I wholeheartedly repeat Tom's comment.
Now it's time to take notice of the bricklayers, plumbers, electricians, plasterers, scaffolders and anyone else who wears overalls and gets paid to do things that I have absolutely no interest in.

Add pizza boys, fruiterers, butchers and mechanics to the list.

bogart said...

errrrrrrrrrrrrr.... now tell me something. Why do I have builders in my house and they are a nightmare from hell and you get the super chicks? ahhhhhhhhh?
Also... wasn't I supposed to run some sort of building project somewhere in Italy.... now that you trust them...