26 August, 2009

Back from the Tuscan trenches...


Here I am back, after 1 whole month of Tuscan warfare! Well, I cannot really say it was anything like war. In fact, quite the opposite. The only thing that reminded us of a war was the English Patient party (see below), which frankly only had the costumes and the partying like there's no tomorrow to bring us back to WW2!

What were the highlights? So many, and so hard to chose amongst them. Here are some, not necessarily in order of importance...

1. Wine, food, more wine, more food!


Let me say, we surpassed ourselves, cooking for hordes of people - especially at the time of the EP party - while always maintaining rather high standards. And when the hordes were gone, and we were joined by S and A, we really did surpass ourselves, with old favourites like chocolate chili cake and tagliatelle al ragu', but also with new experiments like friggitelli al sale grosso and aspic ai fegatini. And we explored a number of vinyards, both in Maremma and in Val D'Orcia, including a rather grandiose one designed by il maestro Renzo Piano himself, La Rocca di Frassinello,


although if you ask me I still preferred a small one by Montalcino, run by women only, Casato Prime Donne!!

2. Babies!


Lots of them! All lovely of course, in many ways the best part of the holiday, always entertaining and wonderful, although at times not terribly likeable, especially when screaming at the top of their lungs. My solution: an army of Chinese nannies who will be in charge of education and discipline, so I can do all the fun, playful bits and they can hate China for the rest of their lives (China can take it). But to Francesca, Filippo and Giovanni, a huge thank you for being the most lovely children in the world!!

3. Romance!


For some, but not for all. In fact, lots of it, although I am sure she will make no mention of it on her blog. Too shy, she says. But a new girlfriend is not something that will go unnoticed for long. So expect more updates, particularly since this one is a celebrity in her own right (she deserved someone with equal public status, I say!) and terribly cool too...!

4. Lottery!


We made several (piss poor) attempts at winning the lottery, which at a whooping EUR 147m was the largest ever in the world (I think). In the end, the winner was some poor soul not far from us, in the North of Tuscany, who is by now surely regretting his actions and would like to donate everything to us. That's why I urge him (or her) to contact us, as we have the best plans for a future of happiness (including starting our own vineyard, see 1)!

5. The "Everyone's an English Patient" Party!


Also dubbed The Best Party Ever. Let the pictures speak for themselves, and those of you who didn't make it start buying tickets for next summer!













5 comments:

MicNic said...

I look fat

MicNic said...

yes but you are NOT fat.
ps i looked fat too

albeo said...

are you talking to yourself again dear?

PS no you are NOT fat nor do you LOOK fat

MicNic said...

1. POD jumped on my computer.

2. She told me although I'm not fat, I look fat.

Lady V said...

You are not fat. I am fat though, after a month of gorging. Regine. Regime change starts here. Oh yes.

You know I would do it all again tomorrow....