28 August, 2009

Blame


Blame is something that gets thrown around quite a lot, but never like in this case does it deserve to be put on someone. That someone is going to go back to NYC very soon, so has no consideration for the damage left behind him.

This is what I was forced to see tonight:



Now, for those of you who might wonder why this has happened, one has to go back a few years, to a time when the Gay Blades were so cool, even I was posting about them.

And so it happened that, on their European tour to showcase their new genre - Death Indie, errrrr.... - they stumbled upon a small city in Northern Italy. No, not Milan. That would have been ok. Instead, it was the execrable Idroscalo, a swamp surrounded by cheap brothels and disco bars some 20 km outside Milan:


I was forced to drive there - stone sober of course, given the increasing police controls on Italian roads - and stand in the midst of a few retarded teenagers waiting for Gay Blades to come on stage.

But before we could be delighted by them, a... how shall I describe it... a thing that produced noise went on stage. Their personality was that of a crayfish in an expired Pret sandwich. Their music sounded like a 1000 babies clubbed to death. Well, maybe I exagerate a little. But they were on all accounts a torture. Their name: Manetti. You just saw their video, and I am sure you are still in pain because of the experience. Now imagine 45 minutes of it.

Moving on to the Gay Blades, after a promising start, the New York duo - as they constantly reminded us between one song and another one - discovered (or invented?) Death Indie (because Indie had to die before living again, apparently). As you can imagine, it was a mixture of embarassement and discomfort. Especially because they were perfoming to an audience of 14, one of which was a guy on a wheelchair, another one a strange man that had stripped to his undies and another one a retarded teenager, who got told by the singer at one point: "Shut the fuck up!" Who does that, honestly?

Thankfully, we had boules (bocce, as the Italians call them) to distract us. I won, of course.

2 comments:

sxg said...

as long as you keep up the drunk and indignant transatlantic texting, i'm all for it!

Tom said...

I'm afraid it is all too common to blame those individuals who push society forward. Socrates, Jesus, Britney, etc. But we bear the cross of accusation silently, secure in the knowledge that though they may rail against us, they actually rather enjoyed themselves at the concert (at least as an anthropological experience) and laughed really hard when the singer told the mentally handicapped kid to shut the fuck up.

But, yes, the music sucked.