
I have just returned from seeing The Lives of Others with my dear friend Le Duc. What a beautiful, beautiful film. There's no other way to descibe it. Lyrical, profound, moving. Every image was shot with refined attention, evey detail masterfully taken care of. Ulrich Mühe's central performance as a Stasi agent, whose faith in the system begins to crumble beneath the weight of the regime's schemings, is absolutely flawless.

For the whole duration of the film, I was plunged in the suffocating greyness of East Germany, 1984. As the images unfolded, childhood memories about life on the other side of the Curtain kept coming back to me. I left the theatre with that sense of elacted sadness that follows an emotional experience. Don't miss it.
1 comment:
in berlin..fittingly enough
and much as i love disagreeing with you, well, i couldn't agree with you more in this instance.
a little cracker.
Post a Comment