
After 3 weeks of almost uninterrupted travels, here I am back in London, with a snotty nose and a cough because my body tends to react with violence to air-travel and air-conditioning, both very present in my last few weeks. Very unlike me, I brought a camera with me this time to document my adventures. Very like me, however, I am unable to retrieve these pictures at the moment, so you'll have to wait a little longer before I post them here (slash forever, as after my trip to Uganda, when I failed to post a single video of the hundreds I took).
Instead, you'll be delighted to hear that - in the company of Japan-headed Tot F or alone - I have been treating myself to several moving pictures. From the ridiculous I Am Legend by Francis Lawrence (a shameless remake of Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later, only with less subtlety and more special effects) to the sublime No Country for Old Men, by the Cohen Brothers, with a breathtaking performance by Javier Bardem as a psychopath let loose on the towns and villages near the Rio Grande, there sure is no shortage of good films out at the moment.

But one triumphed above all, forcing me to grab Tot's arm repeatedly during the screening and to shriek with pleasure as the masterpiece unfolded for 158 wonderful minutes: There Will Be Blood. I could bang on for ages about Paul Anderson's post-Magnolia coup, which redeems him for me - after what I considered the most indigestible film ever made - in the eyes of men and gods alike. Or I could praise Paul Dano's brilliant coming of age with his brilliant personification of a religious fanatic.

Yet, it is Daniel Day-Lewis' performance which makes this an epic movie. There is nothing else for me to say, except: go see it.
2 comments:
Am so with you on the brilliance of There Will Be Blood (though, of course, as Magnolia's Number 1 Fan I am unable to agree with your verdict on what will, surely, go down in history as one of the ultimate artistic creations of humanity...).
Thrilled you're back. We have all missed you!
don't worry darling, you've left us all with snotty noses and sniffles. part cold/part missing you
how's the ticket-search coming along?
Post a Comment