
First of all, I wanted to share with you the discovery of Broken Spindles, an initiative of Joel Petersen, whose main job is being the bassist to the '80s retro neo-new wave band The Faint, but who has also found some time to produce some really interesting pieces of electronic music under this label. On Saddle Creek's website, Joel reveals to us that "writing inside/absent (the title of the first album) I think I was hearing and experiencing a lot of outside art and music that made no emotional impression on me. I guess I wanted to at least make myself feel something through music, and it seemed that the best way to do that was just to be as real and honest as possible". The cover of the album, with its cubic, white man stretching his disproportionate limbs, seems to reinforce this need for desperate emotional longing. As you listen to This is an Introduction from his album inside/absent, you become captivated by the intimate, almost mournful feel of this minimalist electronic piece. Can't say the rest of the album is joyful either, but it's absolutely beautiful...

Trespassers William, which I discovered through my friend Mark, have been called "Gently mesmerizing... haunting" by NME, when their 2004 album Different Stars - with its influences of ambient, folk and shoegaze - established the band as one of the most prominent and nuanced US songwriters. You can download from this album And We Lean In clicking here. They are - if anything - improving, as you can hear from this haunting piece from their 2006 release Having.
No comments:
Post a Comment