08 December, 2007

Hatton v Mayweather

Those of you who know me are well aware of the fact that I am not really a fan of the noble sport of boxing. But somehow, the Hatton v Mayweather fight caught my attention:



Now, let's take a closer look at this picture.

Two muscular bodies are touching each other, one white, one black, naked but for a thin piece of cloth around their groin. Their noses are pressed together in a seemingly hostile, yet supremely intimate manner. Their hands are stretching in expectation of physical encounter. Their mouths are so close, they can feel each other's warmth on their lips. Old men are lapping up the scene in the background, grinning excitedly.

So, what have I just described? A healthy display of male hormones ahead of a virile fight?

No, I am sorry: this is homoeroticism if ever such a thing existed. And it encapsulates for me why most men are attracted to this sport. It's gay sex without the squirts, if you exclude a few noses bleeding now and then. I love these displays of homosexuality camouflaged as masculinity. If only the majority of boxing lovers knew why they love them too, maybe we'd be living in a slightly more tolerant world...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What have I been saying about Greco-Roman wrestling?! I'm right with you.

In fact, one of my earliest childhood memories of sexual arousal was looking at photos of topless boxers.

That and underwear models in my mother's catalogue, obviously.

FKJ said...

men...
bunch of fags all of them....

Jon said...

I think you're confusing homosexuality with homosociality.

Anonymous said...

I think not...

Anonymous said...

queers

Anonymous said...

shut up pussies

Lady V said...

I heard an interview on Radio 4 with his mother Carol. She calls him Richard. She says he was a very ugly baby.

MicNic said...

Don't debate!
Masturbate!