20 December, 2006

Back in Italy



Have been here for almost 10 days, and I my body is beginning to develop strange tremors in my left arm, accompanied by enduring throat-piercing pain which basically prevents me from speaking.

Temperature outside the house: -2 C.
Temperature inside the house: -12 C.

Essays written: 0.
Books read: 1.
Studies researched: 142 on line. None read beyond the introduction.

Historic Italian cities visited: 6 (Rome, Siena, Bologna, Parma, Milan, Venice).

Cars crashed: 1. My mother's. Into a wall. Somewhat the nervous system felt better after that. The noise of lashed metal soothed my growing sense of internal panic. Cronenberg sprung to mind. I feel like doing it again.

I am beginning to look like Rasputin. Unshaven. Feverish. A Dostoevskyesque murderous character. I am convinced I am being spied. Or followed. Or both.

Tonight's news: gay rights activists place statuettes of a gay and a lesbian couple in the Parliament's cresh in Rome. An old man is arrested for pretending to be blind in order to claim benefits from the state. Prime broadcasting time devoted to both news: 15 minutes. Time devoted to international news: 0.03 minutes.

I feel like I am living in a sinister pantomime.

I miss my world. I miss the world.

No comments: