15 May, 2006

Some music, at last...

I discovered a gold mine. I was listening to some podcasts recently, and started doing some research on a couple of new indie/rock bands which I really liked - Alias & Tarsier and 13 & God - and found out that these artists have signed up to Anticon, an independent record label "dedicated to scrounging up quiet ideas and tiny epiphanies wherever they might be found". So I decided to share it with you.

Alias & Tarsier repeat the words dreamy and cinematic a few times when posting information about their music. Which I think is a fair and accurate picture at least of their first album, and of the way it came about. Working from their studios/apartments in Oakland and Brooklyn, exchanging emails and samples of their electronic sounds, they wrote their entire first EP without ever meeting eachother. If this isn't dreamy and cinematic, someone please tell me what is dreamy and cinematic. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to select their single, Dr C., from the list of tracks from Anticon's radio playlist. Awesome.

When I failed to find anything on-line by 13 & God, I turned to Three More Shallows, and discovered they are even better. Anyone who describes his sound as worry, accompanied by toy orchestra is bound to be cool. And click after click, I listened to every song posted on their website, and fell in love with their latest single, I Can't Get Next To You, to the point that I decided to write down some of the lyrics (I am reverting to being a teenager I guess):

Oh why I can turn a grey sky blue
You see I, I can make it rain when I want to
Oh yes I can build a castle
from a single grain of sand

You see I, I can make a ship sail on dry land
Let me say I, I can fly like a bird in the sky
I can buy anything that money can buy
I can turn a river into a raging flood
I can live forever, if I so decide

Proper orchestra sounds, instead, in a single from their second album, More Deep Cuts, entitled Freshman Thesis. Upbeet is actually raving about them, saying they are "[...] people deserving the title of "artists". In a world where lesser bands have been hailed and given accolade after undeserved accolade, Thee More Shallows continues to make their own distinct and underappreciated brand of hauntingly eccentric rock, proving how uninformed the masses truly are. This album is an excellent jab in the face to the stagnant music scene that has prevailed in the dead mainstream as well as in the ever-more homogeneous underground. It's everything that an indie rock record should be. Thee More Shallows awaits to truly dazzle you". Can't say I didn't warn you...

No comments: